Thursday, July 8, 2010

In playbook of parenting, patience is the goal

"Because I Said So" column in The Commercial Appeal

July 8, 2010

What is patience?

I'm not getting philosophical; I seem to have lost mine and am having trouble even recalling what it is.

I had it here somewhere, sometime before summer break and a house full of children every day.

Summer 2010 means only one thing, and if your family is anything like mine, then you've been gripped by World Cup soccer for the past month. I've used the matches and brackets as a forum for teaching my kids about patience, that elusive quality of the long sufferer.

Soccer is the sport of waiting, of passing, looking and hoping. I'm not sure my kids are completely on board with the game, though, as I heard 12-year-old Calvin leave the room the other day and tell younger brother Joshua, "Call me if anybody scores." ... (read more)